Thursday, October 29, 2009

What I've been up to...

So.... I have been MIA from Crunchy Crochet for a few weeks because... I have a life...  No, no that is not the reason.  I have a very cute little baby who takes ALL my time... No, no that isn't it either but actually that very cute baby did need some things.


I cloth diaper, of course I do, I am Crunchy remember?  Well,  although I have really wonderful easy to use cloth diapers, they have been through alot of babies and it is time to start replacing them.  I was introduced to the idea of using a wool cover (soaker) with the old fashioned prefolds.  Though this seems archaic I have been giving it some thought since I was expecting that really cute baby.


Number one:  The cost is so much better.  Indian Prefolds are the most absorbant and cost less than $1.50 each as oppossed to the $15 per diaper I have paid in the past.
Number two: You don't have to use pins anymore,  you can use these things called snappis which grip the diaper and won't hurt the baby.
Number four:  Wool is natural, (not itchy I promise) and it lets the skin truly breath.  Now think about it, if you were going to spend 1.5 to 2 years of your life in a diaper,  wouldn't you want your skin to breathe?
Number five: You need a wool cover and so an excuse to do some crochet.   After an exhaustive measure I was not able to find a cover that I loved so began another pattern.


This one was inspired by an Oscar the Grouch green, wool soaker from the 60's or 70's.  While the soaker was too ratty, I loved the panel that was worked into the but portion to give the babys bum some room (mine definetely needs this).  The rest of it was just experimentation and lots of ripping apart my work and redoing it until I liked it and now I LOVE it.







Next I will be working on a long pant version called a longie and a skirtie which is a soaker with a skirt attached to it.  Cute!!  and very cost effective.


So that is what I have been up to and the next post has the pics and a request.

No comments:

Post a Comment