Thursday, October 1, 2009

In her honor...

Crochet for me, is the realization of the ideas that whirl around in my mind at night.  If I need something I usually see if I can crochet it, sew it, paint or build it.

I have been crocheting since I was 9 when I was sent to my grandmothers house for the summer.  In those hot sweaty summer days, I would sit on the floor in my grandmothers porch and watch her work with a thin needle and cotton thread and produce amazing doilies and all kinds of inventions out of nothing, out of thin air.  Until then, the extent of my craftiness was encompassed in raiding my moms junk drawers to see what treasures I could find to create something else (can you say no Micheals or Joanns).  That summer after pestering my grandmother for weeks with questions and just peskiness, she finally gave me a needle and showed me how to make a chain.  She told me I was doing it wrong and that I held it wrong but also told me that everyone probably does it different and as long as it worked for me to go ahead.

My grandmother was a mother of 14 with 9 daughters. Crochet was for sure her getaway from the everyday life that goes with raising a mega family.  That I know of I am her only descendant who has inherited a passion for creating something out of thin air with nothing more than a needle and some thread.  This blog is in her honor. Rosa Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment